Friday, November 17, 2017
Apopka is about to enter a new era of healthcare
The magnificent structure is quite the entry feature into Apopka and we all are very proud that this new building – and what will go on inside – will soon open in our community.
THE VOICE OF THE COMMUNITY: OPINION & ARTICLES OF INTEREST
Medical marijuana – to ban or to allow
By Bryan Nelson, County Commissioner District 2
A background on Orange County’s recent consideration of medical use of marijuana ordinances relating to dispensaries.
Energy rebates totaled $237,722
By Christine Moore, Orange County Public Schools
After returning from the Council of Great City Schools, I was aware more than ever of the digital advantage for Orange County Public School students with the 1:1 district digital device deployment initiative.
When you owe a ton of dough, it’s time to sell, baby, sell
By Richard Corbeil
When Obama’s campaign theme was “CHANGE,” his election moved us closer to that goal with a doubling of our national debt from $10 trillion to $20 trillion in just eight years.
By Patti Bankson, The Way I See It
Officially, Veteran’s Day is gone. Unofficially, it shouldn’t be, and actually isn’t, because people are still thanking military members for their service.
Letters to the Editor:
Story makes tears come out of eyes
By Aida Gonzalez, Apopka
Pageant made possible with help from wonderful city
By Rosali Morris, Executive Director, Miss Apopka Scholarship Pageant
Police Beat: STAY INFORMED. Get the details: who, when, and why arrests were made in our community by subscribing to The Apopka Chief today.
Other Headlines, Events and More:
- The theme for the Apopka Christmas Parade will be “A Very Merry Christmas with Joyful Sounds.
- City election contributions for October are on page 3A.
- Planning Commission gives thumbs-up to all items
By Teresa Sargeant, Apopka Chief Staff
- The Debbie Turner Cancer Care and Resource Center is seeking donations for Thanksgiving food baskets.
- Apopka Police Department installed a medication collection box in the lobby of the police department – part of progressive efforts to combat the addictive and deadly impacts of opioids.
- State Representative Jennifer Sullivan’s (R-Eustis) staff will hold office hours at Apopka City Hall for constituent outreach.
- Members of Boy Scout Troop 22 will host a pancake breakfast at the Apopka Elks Lodge No. 2422.
- Cookies and Milk with a Cop (Storytime, Too) will take place at the North Orange Branch Library.
- Yoga instructor Colleen Puglisi will lead a nature yoga class on the serenity porch of Oakland Nature Preserve’s education building.
- The second annual Family Portrait Day will take place at the First United Methodist Church.
- The First Baptist Church of Apopka will serve a free, fully home-cooked meal for those who might not otherwise have a meal.
- A chaplain for the Orange County Sheriff’s Office (OCSO) was given two awards in October in recognition of his public service. Apopka resident Melvin Birdsong got a certificate of appreciation.
- Students, families, Apopka High School staff and community supporters are invited to participate in this fall’s school beautification project.
- A local non-profit organization for children has started up a free supper and free tutoring program, open to all children up to grade five.
- Dr. Barbara Jenkins, superintendent of Orange County Public Schools, will be the featured speaker at the 18th annual Christmas Celebration Gala.
- The Christmas season is full of traditions, folklore and rich history. However, amid all of the traditions we’ve come to know, there are many bits of trivia of which you may not be familiar. See page 1D.
OTHER SPORTS HEADLINES
- Second-round playoff games await Mustangs, Darters
By Neal Fisher, John Peery, Apopka Chief Staff
- The Zellwood Community Center, Inc. is hosting its 10th annual golf tournament at the Zellwood Station Golf and Country Club.
- Orlando Baseball Academy will host baseball and softball camps for school-age children. The clinics will be held at CPS Sportsplex in Apopka.
- There’s some pretty good football being played here
By John Peery, Peery’s Extra Points
- Blue Darters down Rockledge with run in third quarter during first preseason game
By John Peery. Apopka Chief Staff
- Former major league baseball player Dante Bichette Sr. will give a hitting lecture at the CPS Sportsplex in Apopka.