Friday, August 16, 2019
Grassroots movements like this give us hope for our country
Rodney Smith has mowed yards for those in need all across the nation. After becoming a social media sensation, Smith has expanded the program so that others will help those in need in their own area. Read more on page 2A.
THE VOICE OF THE COMMUNITY: OPINION & ARTICLES OF INTEREST
Septic to sewer facing 55,000+ homes
By Christine Moore, County Commissioner, District 2
If your current septic system fails, the state is requiring an upgrade to an onsite septic system or conversion to county or city sewer systems. Read more on this topic on page 2A.
Schools have mental health designee
By Melissa Byrd, Orange County School Board, District 7
We get a board update every month from each division and I thought it would be nice to share some of the great things that are happening in OCPS.
Muslims don’t make good historians regarding Israel
By Richard Corbel
For those of you not familiar with Rashida, she is the Democrat U.S. representative from Michigan, and in this Yahoo podcast, she demonstrated a version of the Holocaust distortion often made by nations that played a role in the genocide of the Jewish people.
Why The Left Wants What It Wants
The Way I See It… By Patti Bankson
Contrary to what you’re hearing, the 2020 election is NOT about increasing our freedoms, making us healthy or keeping us safer and more secure.
Letters to the Editor:Your Opinion Counts. Send a Letter to The Editor
Police Beat: STAY INFORMED. Get the details: who, when, and why arrests were made in our community by subscribing to The Apopka Chief today.
- The city of Apopka met with representatives from Errol Estate and a commercial advisory developer to figure out how to move forward in redeveloping the golf course at Errol Estate. Read more on this meeting which marks a new chapter in Errol redevelopment.
- Voting began this week for the annual Best of Apopka Readers’ Choice Awards. The deadline for submitting ballots is Wednesday, September 18, at noon. Get details on voting and the upcoming publication for Best of Apopka.
- After hearing protests from area residents about a change of zoning needed for a proposed apartment complex, the Apopka Planning Commission deadlocked on apartments. Read about the vote cast and about what residents have complained about.
- The district staff of U.S. Rep. Val Demings is launching a new weekly mobile office in Apopka. The Congresswoman’s staff will be available to help those who have questions about several departments. Find out the location and date of the mobile office. See page 7A.
- ASAP walk to benefit medical research. The ASAP Central Florida Walk and Roll for a Cure is scheduled for Saturday, September 28. For more information, look to page 1B.
St. Francis fashion show will aid ministry. The Apopka Council of Catholic Women (CCW) will host “Decades of Fashion” in the St. Francis of Assisi Parish Center with an event theme of fashions and music of the ’40s through ’80s with members wearing their dated fashions. Learn the location and time on page 2B.
AMHS Class of 1974 will hold reunion. The Apopka Memorial High School Class of 1974 will hold a 45-year reunion September 27-28. Find more details on page 3B.
Meals on Wheels volunteers needed for deliveries. Seniors First, Inc., a volunteer organization, is seeking volunteers to deliver meals for its Meals on Wheels program. There are seven pick-up sites located throughout Orange County. Read about how volunteers can help on page 3B.
St. Mary’s Church will host Ukrainian Independence Day celebration Aug. 24. St. Mary’s Protectress Ukrainian Catholic Church will hold its Ukrainian Independence Day celebration on Saturday August 24. The celebration will provide entertainment for children, a concert, and international food. Admission to the event is free. More information on page 3B.
High school football season begins with preseason games
With the preseason games for high school football teams set for this weekend, the reality of football season starting gets closer and closer.
Read more about the season in Peery’s Extra Points on 6C.